Monday, October 24, 2011

Chicken Tetrazzini

Mr B, my hubby.. bought me recipe books just before we moved. So now I have books filled with gratin kinda dish, sup dish, and asian dish (including Indonesian - yeaaay). After looked around throught out the books, he finally decided that he want me to try a recipe called Kyckling Tetrazzini or basically Chicken Tetrazzini in English. So with no further adieu.. let's start cooking..

Ingredients:
  • 200 g Spaghetti
  • 75 g butter
  • 1 carrot - diced
  • 1 dl all-purpose flour
  • salt and pepper
  • 4½ dl chicken broth
  • 4½ dl milk
  • 450 g chicken that already being slight fried or boiled, then diced.
  • 125 g cheddar cheese - shredded.

PS:

  • I added 3 champion mushrooms that I diced to the ingredient mixed. We bought too much of it, so we decided to add it.
  • dl is deciliter


Methods:
  • Preheat the oven to 175 C
  • Boil the spaghetti according to the directions on the box. But I usually just boiled it for a few minutes in a boiling water with some salt and oil until the spaghetti is tender but not too soft.
  • Boil the carrots and mushrooms for 5 minutes.
  • Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add flour and stir until it forms a smooth dough.
  • Pour in the chicken broth and then the milk into the dough. 
  • Mix all until it boiled and thickened.
  • When it does, put the spaghetti and the carrots+mushrooms into the sauce.
  • Season it until satisfied with the flavor.
  • Pour the spaghetti and sauce into the baking dish. Sprinkle the cheese evenly on top.
  • Bake until the cheese started to brown.
  • Let it rest for a while before served.

Result:



This dish was one of the first dish I made in my own kitchen. So it was filled with little disaster. Like when we made the white sauce (which after a while, I found out that it actually called Béchamel sauce), Mr.B gave me the ingredients that he already measured. When I melt the butter then added the flour, I noticed that the flour seemed to be too much, compared to the butter. But we kept going, with the result of the butter and flour mixed turn into bread-crumbs-looking dough. Good thing we finally made a new batch, and actually followed the measurement on the recipe. Turn out it wasn't that hard.. *smug* Just make sure you stirred the butter and the flour all the time and the measurements are correct, than it should've been no problem. I also noticed that to make the sauce thickened, it might took a while. I always used the medium heat because I was afraid I will burn the milk or the flour. So yeah.. just be patient with stirring the sauce.

About the taste, it's almost like a macaroni schotel, the different is that this one tasted more creamy, while macaroni schotel have a more distict taste, maybe that because of the nutmeg..

Difficulty level.. the hardest part is making the béchamel sauce... It's pretty "scary" in a way.. added that I failed on my first try. But when you got pass that.. it only about adding stuff and baked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment